Johnson House

The Johnson Historic House, as it is known today, was built around 1852 in the Vernacular Federal Architect Style.  Henry J. Travis had the house built across the street from his carriage factory (1838) located just north of Grace Lutheran Church.  The main part of this home has a barn stone foundation with stones two feet in thickness.  Poplar trees
were cut down and the logs now serve as floor joists.  Some of the bark remains on the logs and can be seen in the basement.

Mr. H. J. Travis sold his carriage factory and moved his business close to Chicago.  The house went up for sale and was purchased by Reverend Thomas W. Browning.  He preached in the Methodist Church and the Congregational Church (St. Mark's today).  He was the mayor of Wadsworth from 1869-1872 and again from 1876-1880.  He lived in the house until 1877.

Dr. Daniel E. Cranz purchased the house and practiced medicine out of the home.  This was his office for sixteen years.  He was an investor in the Wadsworth Salt company.

The next occupant of the house was Dr. Thomas Jefferson Ritter.  He operated his practice out of the house from 1893-1900.

Dr. Robert Johnson was one of the last country doctors in the area.  He began his practice at age 22 in the year 1900.  He made his rounds on horse and buggy.  In 1906, at age 28, he became mayor of Wadsworth and served two terms.  During his service, he was instrumental in getting the main streets paved with brick and he drove the last spike that connected the Inter-urban rail downtown to West Barberton.

Dr. Johnson's daughter, Dr. Myra Johnson, was the last person to reside and operate a doctor's office in the house.  She began practicing the year her father passed in 1952 and and eventually retired in 1975.  She passed in 1996 and the City of Wadsworth purchased the house for demolition.  A group of concerned citizens lobbied for its preservation.  They were successful in their efforts and renovations began in the early 2000's.  The original wrought iron fence was recently installed to help bring back the grandeur of the property.